Group Accountant – Shannon Group plc (Ref SG 07/2019) – 3 Year Fixed Term Contract
Shannon Group plc is seeking to recruit a Group Accountant based at Shannon Group offices in Shannon Airport.
Shannon Group plc is the parent company for a group of four commercially driven businesses. The Group is comprised of Shannon Airport Authority, whose principal activities include airport management and airport operations and development; Shannon Heritage, who operates some of the region’s most successful day visitor experiences and evening entertainments located in the Shannon Region; Shannon Commercial Properties, a company focused on the leasing and development of commercial buildings and fully serviced greenfield development sites; and IASC, which works to build a globally recognised and internationally competitive aviation industry cluster at Shannon. We wish to recruit a Group Accountant who will join the Group Finance team and play a key role in the day to day financial reporting process. In addition, the successful individual will be the central point of contact with the Group’s internal auditor and will oversee the development of the existing assurance framework which support’s the Group’s compliance with the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies. The Group Accountant will report directly to the Group Financial Controller with a reporting relationship to the Group Chief Financial Officer in relation to the Governance/Compliance elements of the role.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Leading the month-end process for the Shannon Group holding company, including the preparation of monthly management accounts, balance sheet reconciliations and account files in line with month-end timetable.
- Group month-end reporting including preparation of consolidated management accounts and circulation of management reports.
- Analysis and commentary on the financial performance through analytical review.
- Supporting the annual Group budgeting, reforecasting and financial planning process.
- Preparation of annual consolidated statutory accounts.
- Liaise with the company’s auditors and tax advisers to assist with the annual audits, tax and other regulatory returns.
- Responsibility for filing of the Shannon Group Vat return.
- Co-ordination of shareholder financial reporting including requirements of the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies.
- Other ad hoc duties including work on various finance projects as the need arises.
- Central point of contact with the Shannon Group externally appointed Internal Auditor.
- Co-ordinate with externally appointed Internal Auditor and the Shannon Group Executive Management Team on the development of the internal audit plan.
- Tracking of all open audit recommendations (both internal and external) to ensure appropriate ownership at subsidiary level, to allow appropriate reporting to the Audit & Risk Committee and to support the co-ordination of follow up reviews with the externally appointed Internal Auditor.
Preparation of an updated summary report for each Audit and Risk Committee meeting. Co-ordinate the preparation of papers for the Committee.
- Build on the existing assurance framework for the Shannon Group and it supports the various assurance statements at year end.
- Based on a review of the existing Internal Financial Control Frameworks and the testing performed by the external Internal Auditor, specify the detailed financial controls testing for each of the entity finance teams to support the Statement of Internal Control as required by the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies.
- Manage the Shannon Group company internal financial control framework.
- Co-ordinate group risk meetings.
- Propose changes to Shannon Group risk register following review of subsidiary risk registers.
- Ensure consistent reporting of risks to the Audit & Risk Committee and Board (in line with the existing Shannon Group Risk Management Framework and Policy).
- Keep the Shannon Group Risk Management Framework and Policy under review and ensure changes are captured and approved on a timely basis.
- Preparation of an updated summary report for the Health, Safety, Security and Environment Committee meeting in advance of each committee meeting.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The candidate should have
- Business / Accounting (or relevant) primary 3rd level degree.
- Fully qualified accountant (ACA / ACCA) with 1-2 years PQE who preferably completed their training with a big 4 firm or large accountancy practice within the audit department.
- Up-to-date knowledge in relation to accounting standards (IFRS desirable but not essential) and internal controls.
- Experience of preparing consolidated accounts preferable.
- Experience of report writing and the ability to convey complex information in a concise manner.
- Strong interest in enhancing financial controls and risk management. Previous experience advantageous.
- Practical, hardworking and committed individual with high personal integrity and attention to detail.
- A self-starter comfortable working to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with strong organisational skills.
- Ability to work on an individual basis and as part of a team.
- Advanced knowledge with MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint. Oracle experience desirable.
Applications in the form of a cover letter and current CV (MS Word or pdf) should be sent to : firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Monday 23rd September 2019.